Sunday, July 29, 2012

spartan 6 uart

After downloading the drivers I tried to find the FTD in the "/dev/tty.*"

I did not find it.  However after I plugged in the FPGA's uart something new appeared.

typing "/dev/tty.*" revealed a new port:

/dev/tty.usbserial-A700h2To

When I unplug it, the port disappears and when I plug it back in, it reappears.

in this example, it shows a port that contains the characters "...ftd..."

This tells me that either the company decided to use a radically new name

OR

I didn't really need to download the driver.

One way I can find out is by plugging it in to my other mac to see if it shows up.

what ever the answer is, it isn't a big deal.  what IS a big deal is that I am able to send and receive information from this port.

UPDATE:
I tried pluging in my spartan 6 uart to my other mac but the usbserial-A7.... did not appear.
However, after installing the driver, it appeared.

So yes, the Driver IS necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment